With an American father, I grew up on French toast and also don’t really get the British habit of calling it eggy bread. But whatever you call it, check out my recipe for French toast, it makes a great breakfast treat or even a quick snack for lunch time. This is one of the first things that I used to cook as a teenager too and it always used to go down well with friends.
Of course, I like to serve my French toast with a dash of butter and some good ol’ maple syrup. It is also delicious with bacon as part of a full English breakfast or replace the maple syrup with lemon and sugar or even chocolate spread or jam.
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 slices of white bread
- Butter and maple syrup to taste
- Beat the eggs together in a bowl
- Heat a dash of cooking oil in a frying pan
- Soak bread one at a time in the egg
- Fry bread on both sides until brown
- Butter and add maple syrup